Tips For The First Time Grandmother
Being a new Grandma is exciting and wonderful!
My wife has been a grandma for about three years now. She has learned much at that time, from her’s own experience and from others.
She prepared a list with some tips:
- Offer advice if asked. Shut up, often. If you aren’t asked for an opinion, don’t offer one up. Ever.
- Don’t reference how you did things back then, don’t suggest she try this old wive’s tale
- Keep your opinions to yourself.
- Leave the parenting up to the parents.
- Respect the wishes and rules of the parents
- Do things according to parent’s way, support the new family and respect their decisions include babies names
- Be available to the parents for advice, but never give it — or your opinion — unless asked.
- Help around the house. Fold some laundry, load the dishwasher, take out the recycling.
- Tell her she’s doing a great job.